Coloured glass pendant lights have a very special character that I think is really hard to beat. When illuminated, coloured glass glows with richness, depth and warmth. And textures can be as silkily smooth and reflective as a still pond or as brilliant and sparkly as diamond earrings.
Using contemporary glass designs for your pendant lights can transform a room with the most exuberant and dramatic of statements. Alternatively, you can choose fittings that glow discreetly with understated style.
So whether you’re looking for a single pendant lamp as a centrepiece, or multiples to hang in rows or clusters, you have an abundance of exciting and beautiful coloured glass pendant lights to choose from.
For this round-up we found coloured glass pendant lights by top designers and master craftsmen and also wallet-friendly (but no less stylish) designs from the high street. Here are our Top 10 contemporary coloured glass pendant lights to fill your home with colour, light and beauty.
Top 10: coloured glass pendant lights for contemporary spaces
1. Top of page and above: In a range of sizes, the Grace coloured glass pendant lights from Heal’s are the perfect blend of traditional and contemporary.
Crafted using a traditional optic mould, this contemporary shaped glass pendant is given a modern twist with a slanted cut base, copper light fitting and drop adjustable black roped cord.
Available in blue, amber, pink and smoke grey, you can hang the Grace pendant light singly or group it in clusters for added impact.
2. Less is more with the Walter Pendant by Original Btc. We love the striking combination of satin copper and either opal or anthracite glass shades (shown above). Add a black cotton braided cable and satin copper ceiling rose and you have one very elegant glass ceiling pendant. Hang in rows as shown for understated wow factor, or how about a single for a feature bedside light?
3. The John Lewis Croft Collection includes the Selsey Glass Ceiling Light made from hand blown glass with a faint blue tint. Simple yet sophisticated.
4. Next, we’re channelling the Memphis look. The Lab Glass Pendant Ceiling Light features hand-blown coloured glass elements mounted on a marble drop cap and finished with a marble decorative ceiling rose.
Available online from MADE, it also comes in blush pink or grey colourways, and offers a lot of wow factor for a great price, don’t you think?
5. The new family of Chouchin glass pendant ceiling lights was inspired by traditional Japanese paper and bamboo lanterns used as lights and bright signs outside restaurants and bars. Designed by Ionna Vautrin for Foscarini, these pendant downlighters are made from lacquered blown glass. They come in three shapes, each with its own colour: orange for the large version, grey for the small shade and green for the elongated one.
7. Jewel tones teamed with simple, contemporary lines create the striking Ilaria Cluster Light, above. Made from mouth-blown glass, the light shade is completely smooth on the outside with a dimpled interior that creates a gentle refraction through the glass.
8. Next up, style comes with eco-credentials as a result of the collaboration between Plumen and MADE. The Kem Pendant Light in smoke grey glass has been specially designed to show off the graceful shape of the low-energy designer light bulb.
9. The Amp Glass Pendant Lights, above, designed by Simon Legald for Normann Copenhagen inspired by the old tube amplifiers of the 1960’s. The decorative bulbs glow through the delicate glass and contrast beautifully with the marble fittings.
10. Finally, we have the utterly stunning creations of designer Esther Patterson, the founder of Derbyshire-based artisan lighting brand Curiousa & Curiousa.
Images: stores and brands as above
More contemporary pendant lights:
Ferm Living Collect Lighting collection[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]