Today we’re looking at compact armchairs for small spaces. Our Top 10 sofas for small spaces has been wildly popular, so we decided to do this follow-up.
As before, it’s inspired by our own search for compact, modern furniture. This time it’s for a contemporary, small armchair that’s not too deep so it doesn’t protrude too far into our small, square-ish living room.
All of the compact easy chairs in this Top 10 have slim, strealined shapes that make them perfect armchairs for small spaces. No wide, chunky arms or boxy profiles here.
Long(ish) legs were another criteria, to give an illusion of space under and around the chair, a classic trick to use when buying any furniture for small spaces.
They’re also less than 90 cm deep, with several measuring 80 – 85cm deep and some being very petite indeed. Hopefully one may be the small armchair for you!
TOP 10 COMPACT ARMCHAIRS FOR SMALL SPACES
Contemporary upholstered armchairs for small spaces
To start, a selection of traditional upholstered armchairs with contemporary styling to update this classic look.
1. The Rubens armchair (H101 x W82 x D85 cm) above, designed by Steuart Padwick for MADE, has fabulously clean, flowing lines and fuss-free wool-rich or leather upholstery.
This beautifully petite, contemporary take on the classic wing back armchair comes in grey and light moss green, shown above.2. Another riff on the classic wingback, this time Scandi-style. The high-backed Bodil armchair makes a real style statment whilst the small footprint makes it the perfect armchair for small spaces. Again by Made, it comes in a choice of fabric or leather and measures W82 x H114 x D85cm.
3. Its slim profile and compact proportions make the Celine Armchair (W75 x H62 x D72 cm) ideal for small spaces. Exclusive to Habitat, we love the contemporary elegance of the Celine’s velvet upholstery teamed with its simple and airy black metal legs. Shown above in pink, it also comes in teal, grey and dark blue.
Scandi-style wooden framed armchairs for small spaces
The next small armchairs take inspiration from Scandinavian-style and mid-century inspired wood framed armchairs. They’re all rather fabulous, and all on my wish list…
4. The striking, solid oak Frome armchair (H81 x W75 x D86 cm) is part of the Croft Collection at John Lewis & Partners. Shown here in blue, it’s available in any fabric from their ‘Design your Own’ range and also in a selection of gorgeous leathers. There’s also a 15-year frame guarantee.
5. Second of our Scandi/mid-century-inspired compact armchairs for small spaces is the Hendricks armchair with exposed oak frame (H76.5 x W73 x D82cm). Again, you can design your own by choosing from a wide range of fabrics. Don’t want to wait? Buy it ready to deliver in a choice of leathers, like the sumptuous version in Sellvagio Parchment leather, below.
Contemporary leather armchairs for small spaces
6. We love the elegant lines and toffee-coloured leather of the Wallis armchair designed by Russell Pinch for Heals. This colour looks stunning against dark walls. Mind you, this beautiful, contemporary statement armchair would look great anywhere, really. (H86 x W87 x D85 cm)
7. Friends of friends have this deliciously squashy and ultra-comfortable Halo Groucho Aniline Leather Armchair (H68 x W107 x D84cm), shown above, again from John Lewis.
Slim arms and long legs stop it looking heavy and chunky and its big brother, the Groucho Sofa, is in our Top 10 Sofas for Small Spaces too. Why? Because both are the interiors versions of the most comfortable, lived-in and much-loved leather jacket – ever.
8. Soft leather, tapered brass legs – be still my beating heart. How gorgeous is the premium grey leather Simone armchair, above? So elegant, and utterly timeless.
I’m going to sneak in the velvet version of the Simone armchair below, even though it’s not leather, because I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with this one too. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. H82 x W78 x D89cm.
Compact accent chairs for small spaces
Although not exactly armchairs, the streamlined contours of compact accent chairs are nevertheless ideal for small living room when space is at a real premium.
Also called cocktail chairs, they’re particularly useful as occasional chairs i.e. somewhere to sit for a drink or a cuppa. Or as extra seating when you have guests. Equally, they’re brilliantly versatile in bedrooms, hallways and cosy reading nooks.
9. The White Company’s beautifully-made Richmond button back tub chair measures H74 x W 64 x D72 cm. The traditional shape is brought up to date with contemporary grey or stone velvet, and a choice of dark stained or natural oak legs. (Cotton, wool and linen upholstery fabrics also available).
Or for a burst of tropical colour and pattern, how about the Alpana Mexicana Print Chair below?
I can’t believe that’s the 10 done already – it would have been so easy to have written about another 10 at least!. We hope you’ve found our round up of compact armchairs for small spaces useful, and even if your perfect small armchair isn’t here then at least the selection above has provided inspiration and food for thought. Happy (small) chair hunting.
(This post has been updated since publication to keep items current)
Images: brands and shops as credited above
Enjoyed our Top 10 Armchairs for Small Spaces? Check out our Small Space Living Solutions
Find more contemporary furniture for small spaces in our new Small Space Living section: