The recent sunshine – plus the fact that we’re hurtling towards midsummer – inspired today’s Top 10 of my favourite contemporary sun loungers.
Our outside space isn’t particularly big, nor – more to the point – is it particularly private. So, for me, sun loungers are a treat reserved for holidays rather than the back garden. But I know that lots of folk do have enough outside space (and privacy) for serious, laid-back, summer relaxation. In which case a sun lounger has to be the way to go. Garden benches and chairs are brilliant, and definitely have their place. But is there anything more relaxing than being able to stretch out full length on a comfy, sun-warmed cushion and enjoy some downtime in the sunshine?
So whilst my fantasy house definitely has a bigger (and not overlooked) garden, in the meantime here are my Top 10 contemporary sun loungers for modern outdoor spaces.
Top 10 contemporary garden sun loungers
1. Traditional materials are teamed with pared back modern lines for the Kettler Palma Sun Lounger from John Lewis & Partners. It features easy-care wicker on a durable aluminium frame, is fully adjustable and has a deep cushion for maximum comfort. Whitewash colourway also available.
2. We love the colourful contemporary Harry Sunlounger by Fermob shown above in Lagoon Blue. Lightweight and durable, the backrest has four positions and the fabric is stain and mould-proof.
3. Above and below: Designed by Matthew Hilton for Case, this is the award-winning Eos Sun Lounger from Heal’s. Constructed from low-maintenance, durable powder-coated aluminium, the range is modern, sleek and beautiful. Lightweight – both literally and visually – the Eos Sun Lounger fits easily into any contemporary outdoor space.
4. Above: The Click Reclining Chair by Houe. The concept of the Click collection, designed by Danish designer Henrik Pedersen, is to provide cushion-free comfort – and also the flexibility to change colors as you like. To this end, the lamellas (plastic strips) are shaped to follow the structure of the spine and can also be clicked on and off to change – or mix – the colours.
5. The Lafuma Air Comfort Futura Sun Lounger is lightweight, foldable and exceptionally comfortable (you have to try it to believe it!). It can also be used as an upright chair as well as a horizontal sun lounger, and could be perfect for smaller gardens and trips away from home.
6. This classic Venice ‘Steamer’ Sun Lounger from John Lewis & Partners is made from weather-resistant, FSC-certified eucalyptus wood. Simply lift the armrests to choose from five reclining or upright positions and the cushioned padding folds up for convenient storage.
7. Traditional meets contemporary in the Coniston Garden Lounge Set from Barker & Stonehouse. In cool grey tones, the sunlounger features plump cushions and soft yet showerproof fabric. And the handy matching side table is made from the same hardwearing rattan weave.
8. The Holly Stackable Sun Lounger is made by outdoor experts Emu and features a strong aluminium frame and waterproof and weatheproof Texplast fabric.
9. Classic Scandi-simplicity and made-to-last quality are the hallmarks of the Columbus Sunbed by Skagerak. Crafted from 100% FSC teak wood, it has two wheels for easy manoeuvring and an adjustable backrest. Choose from hardwearing fabric in black (above) or white.
10. To finish, I think the sleek and lightweight Monte Carlo Rocking Sun Lounger looks the last word in summertime relaxation. How about you?
Images: brands and retailers as credited above