Today we’re looking at console tables with storage for small spaces, the latest in our series on contemporary furniture for small space living.
By definition, console tables are made for small spaces. They’re long and thin and specifically designed not to take up too much room. So they’re traditionally used in narrow hallways, around the sides of rooms or standing behind a sofa.
If you’ve followed this series, though, you’ll know by now that the best furniture for small spaces is not just compact, but versatile and multifunctional too.
So we went on the hunt for contemporary console tables with storage in the form of drawers or shelves. Or both. And I so enjoyed putting this collection together as there are some absolute beauties around. And also because console tables are one of my favourite pieces of furniture.
Why? Two reasons, actually. Firstly, because console tables are so incredibly versatile and can be used as desks, dressing tables and side tables. Forget about just using them in the hallway.
Secondly, because they’re not just about practicality. Used well, even a very small console table can add a huge amount of character to any space, however tiny. It’s a place to create beautiful, personal displays and vignettes with books, trays, ornaments, lamps, candles and plants. In short, a chance to give full rein to your individuality and creativity.
Anyway, let’s get to it – here are my top 10 contemporary console tables with storage for small spaces. I do hope you find one you like. And perhaps some inspiration for your small space living too.
Top 10 console tables with storage for small spaces
1. A streamlined design with staggered shelf sections, the Profile Console Table by West Elm at John Lewis turns everyday storage into a stylish display. Crafted from iron with an antique finish, it has a sophisticated industrial look and the narrow depth of only 25cm makes it absolutely ideal for hallways and very small rooms.
2. The sleek and minimalist Anya Half-Moon Metal Console Table is ideal for long, thin spaces like a hallway. It’s only 31cm deep and the rounded corners save valuable space. This is ideal when placed between or near doorways, as it avoids the problem of potentially walking into sharp corners.
3. The stylish mid-century Scandi-style Mira Console Table is from the range designed by contemporary Danish designer Ebbe Gehl for John Lewis. Smooth, sleek lines and rounded edges are teamed with solid and oak veneer with an oiled finish to create a contemporary yet timeless effect. Not just beautiful, it’s practical too with a roomy drawer and solid shelf providing lots of storage.
4. Classic French style has been given the most contemporary makeover with the Provence Console Table from The White Company. The flowing lines are simple and elegant, and the painted finish is the softest grey. And the simple yet stunning brass handles are hand-cast using the traditional lost-wax method, a technique which dates back hundreds of years. A piece to cherish.
5. The Grayson Storage Console Table manages to be delicate in looks yet mighty in storage capactiy. Thanks to the clever tambour door that runs the perimeter of the table, the entire space within is given over to storage. We love the nudge to mid-century style too, with those slender, tapered legs and rounded corners.
6. Similar materials now, but a very different look. The Heal’s Brunel Console Table mixes black powder coated hairpin legs with solid oak and oak veneers. Heal’s describe the look as a mid-century Scandi-influenced “industrial chic” style. And as you can see, there’s a stool and mirror to match. Ta da! – the Brunel console table with storage transforms into a stylish dressing table.
7. The stunning Riviera Console Table, above and below, features a sophisticated colour palette and mix of materials. Designed by Maison Sarah Lavoine, the stylish rattan frontage conceals a handy drawer whilst the black top and green shelf have been crafted from smooth, lacquered wood. Totally swoonworthy!
8. Add sleek Scandi style to your space with the Vernay Console Desk from MADE in oak. Although described as a “console desk” the Vernay is hugely versatile, and can be used in any room for any purpose.
9. I so wish I had room for the QUILDA Vintage 4-Drawer Console Table somewhere! The mid-century styling of solid oak tapered legs and delicate turned handles is right up my street. I love the four neat drawers that give bags of space to stash belongings and clutter.
10. Last but not least is the Nottingham Console Table which has one large drawer and two fixed shelves. Its traditional styling includes turned legs and wooden handles but you can see above how contemporary it looks when it’s styled beautifully with monochrome accessories as above.
Enjoyed our Top 10 Console Tables with Storage for Small Spaces?
Check out more small space living solutions below or visit our Small Space Living page: