Today we’re looking at console tables with storage for small spaces, the latest in our series on contemporary furniture for small space living.
By definition, console tables are made for small spaces. They’re long and thin and specifically designed not to take up too much room. So they’re traditionally used in narrow hallways, around the sides of rooms or standing behind a sofa.
If you’ve followed this series, though, you’ll know by now that the best furniture for small spaces is not just compact, but versatile and multifunctional too.
So we went on the hunt for contemporary console tables with storage in the form of drawers or shelves. Or both. And I so enjoyed putting this collection together as there are some absolute beauties around. And also because console tables are one of my favourite pieces of furniture.
“Why, Helen?” I hear you cry… Two reasons, actually. Firstly, because console tables are so incredibly versatile and can be used as desks, dressing tables and side tables. Forget about just using them in the hallway.
Secondly, because they’re not just about practicality. Used well, even a very small console table can add a huge amount of character to your room. It’s a place to create beautiful, personal displays and vignettes with books, trays, ornaments, lamps, candles and plants. In short, a chance to give full rein to your individuality and creativity.
Anyway, let’s get to it – here are my Top 10 contemporary console tables with storage for small spaces. I do hope you find one you like. And perhaps some inspiration for your small space living too.
Top 10 console tables with storage for small spaces
1. Modern metallics are still much in vogue and the striking Terrace Console Table by West Elm will give even the smallest room a sense of light and space. The clear glass top and shelf provide ample surface to display decorative items. Meanwhile, the mirrored bottom shelf reflects the light to show them off to stunning effect. This glamourous console table with storage shelves is just perfect for small spaces
2. The sleek and minimalist Anya Half-Moon Metal Console Table is ideal for long, thin spaces like a hallway. It’s only 31cm deep and the rounded corners save valuable space. This is ideal when placed between or near doorways, as it avoids the problem of potentially walking into sharp corners.
3. The John Lewis Design Project No 022 Oak Console Table is slim and petite, yet very sturdy. Made from solid oak, it’s been cleverly designed to clearly reveal its structure and show off the beauty of the wood. I included this second picture, below, as I love the way it’s been used in a kitchen setting
4. The Adelia 2-Shelf Console Table combines classical design elements with simple lines and the taupe matte lacquered finish makes for a very contemporary look. Practical as well as elegant, it has a central drawer and two shelves for storage or display.
5. Mango wood and iron bring a contemporary, industrial feel to the Pascal Console Table from Swoon Editions. The two roomy drawers are handleless, creating lines that are minimal and clean. The addition of a shelf adds yet more useful storage space.
6. Similar materials now, but a very different look. The Heal’s Brunel Console Table mixes black powder coated hairpin legs with solid oak and oak veneers. Heal’s describe the look as a mid-century Scandi-influenced “industrial chic” style. And as you can see, there’s a stool and mirror to match. Ta da! – the Brunel console table with storage transforms into a stylish dressing table.
7. From online contemporary interiors store Cox and Cox comes their Grey Console Table. Looking to fit a console table with storage into a really narrow space? Try this one – it measures only 26 cm deep. The slimline drawers have brass handles and the shelf below offers additional storage or display space. (They also do another very gorgeous grey painted console table, this time with solid American oak top and handles).
8. Add vibrant colour to your space with the Vernay Console Desk from MADE. Shown above in dark stained ash and red, there are also versions in blue, white and oak. Although described as a “console desk” the Vernay can be used in any room for any purpose.
9. I so wish I had room for the QUILDA Vintage 4-Drawer Console Table somewhere! The mid-century styling of solid oak tapered legs and delicate turned handles is right up my street. I love the four neat drawers that give bags of space to stash belongings and clutter.
10. Last but not least is the Nottingham Console Table which has one large drawer and two fixed shelves. Its traditional styling includes turned legs and wooden handles but you can see above how contemporary it looks when it’s styled beautifully with monochrome accessories as above.
Enjoyed our Top 10 Console Tables with Storage for Small Spaces?
Check out more small space living solutions or visit our Small Space Living page: