Above: Milner Sofa Bed in BlueSofa beds have come a long way in the last few years, particularly compact sofa beds for small spaces and modern living.
You can now find exciting shapes and colours of small sofa beds in very contemporary designs. But before buying a sofa bed (for any size space), it’s important to think about how often it will get used as a sofa and as a bed.
How to choose the best sofa bed for your small living space
Your essential sofa-bed pre-purchase checklist:
– Do you need a sofa bed to go into a spare room? Space may be very tight, particularly if the room has multiple uses, e.g. home office. So the sofa bed needs to take up as little room as possible. But it will only be used as a bed when you have visitors, and won’t be your main sofa.
– Are you looking for a sofa bed for the lounge? It will only be an occasional guest bed, but it’s your main sofa. So comfort – along with good looks – are crucial.
– Does your sofa bed need to be both main sofa and your bed every night? Functionality, sturdiness and ease of conversion from sofa to bed are all important, as are looks and comfort.
Not sure where to start? Take a look – we’ve rounded up our Top 10 contemporary sofa beds for small spaces, with choices for all the above scenarios:
‘Clic-Clac’ / Fold Flat Sofa Beds for Small Spaces
First off, sofa beds where the back folds flat with a ratchet mechanism. This style of sofa bed is perfect for longer, thinner spaces where you have room for a full width sofa, but not much space into the middle of the room.
1. The simple lines and uncluttered design of the Yoko sofa bed from MADE make it the ideal sofa bed for a small room. It has a sprung foam seat and back, and a fabric-covered frame at the front.
2. The extremely handsome Recast Sofa Bed, above, is a collaboration between John Lewis and Danish design company Innovation.
Crafted in Denmark with dark wood legs and mid-century styling, this pocket-sprung sofa bed is designed for ease of use. It has a simple pull out base and drop down back (below) plus there’s useful storage space in the bottom of the sofa back.
3. We love the smart piping and buttoned detailing on the Chou Sofa Bed, shown above in Sherbert Blue fabric.
Also available in other contemporary shades, it easily folds flat with a simple mechanism. And the arms are removable to accommodate taller guests.
If you’re really tight on storage space there’s also the Chou Sofa Bed with Storage, shown below in Butter Yellow.
4. Last of the fold-flat contemporary sofa beds for small spaces is the mid-century inspired Buri Sofa Bed from Heal’s, above and below. The split backrest sections recline individually, giving you three positions: sofa, recline and bed.
Pull-Out Mattress Sofa Beds for Small Spaces
Moving on now to small sofa beds where the length of the mattress unfolds out into the room. These are the best style of sofa bed when you don’t have space for a wide sofa. They’re usually available in very compact sizes, but often with a choice of either 2 or 3 seater options. Which means you have the option to pick the size that works best for your room.
5. Next, a great choice for when you need both sofa and bed to perform well. The small Chopin Sofa Bed from John Lewis, above and below, has gently splayed slim arms, subtle buttoning detail and plump fibre cushions for a comfortable sit. And as it’s from the John Lewis Design Your Own range of contemporary sofa beds you can choose from over 400 fabrics.
The two-fold sofa bed mechanism is easy to use and the Chopin small sofa bed also has a 10cm pocket sprung mattress that’s ideal for regular use.
6. Another option when you’ll be using both sofa and bed regularly is the Howi 2-seater sofa bed from Habitat, shown above and below. Its easy to use three-fold mechanism and 12cm foam mattress make it suitable for everyday use.
Petite proportions, slim wooden legs and slender arms make it the ideal contemporary sofa bed for small rooms. We also love that the neat Howi Sofa Bed is so versatile – it’s available in 2 sizes and various colour options.
7. The contemporary yet timeless Milner Sofa Bed above again has neat proportions. We particularly like the styling details such as the piping on the arms and additional scatter cushions.
Choose from a foam or memory foam mattress, other stylish colours and even some brilliant corner chaise sofa beds with storage. We think it’s a brilliant range of contemporary sofa beds with something for everyone.
8. I really like that the Jacob Small Sofa Bed, above, from sofa specialists Darlings has simple lines (perfect for small spaces). But it also features generous padding for optimum comfort (luxury foam and fibre wrap seat cushions).
Made in the UK with a hardwood frame, it comes in a range of fabric colours, and has a coil-sprung mattress that’s the perfect guest bed. Also available in medium and large sizes.
9. Compact corner sofas can be ideal solution for some small rooms. And the Tromso Corner Sofa Bed definitely gives you the best of all worlds. The comfortable sofa/chaise configuration pulls out into a double bed, with the bonus of roomy storage for bedding and pillows.
The Tromso Corner Sofa Bed is part of the excellent M&S LOFT collection of contemporary furniture for small spaces. It can be delivered in 7 days, perfect if you need a sofa bed quickly for those unexpected house guests.
This post has been revised and republished to keep content relevant