This week we’re looking at contemporary coffee tables with storage for small spaces. Our Top 10’s of contemporary furniture for small spaces (to date sofas, armchairs and dining tables) are our most popular posts by far, we’ve noticed.
So we’re continuing the series with the indispensable coffee table. Every room works better with a good coffee table, wouldn’t you say? But being beautiful and the right size just isn’t enough when it comes to small spaces. What we need are coffee tables with storage.
You may be tired of me saying it, but here goes anyway. The best furniture for small rooms is always versatile and hardworking. So the perfect coffee table for a small space should not only be compact, but also incorporate space-saving shelves or storage drawers to hide clutter out of sight.
Our current coffee table that’s a good size for our smallish living room is 100 cm x 60 cm. So I’ve kept the search roughly to these dimensions and I hope you enjoy our Top 10 contemporary coffee tables with storage that are ideal for small spaces:
Top 10 coffee tables with storage for small spaces
1. The award-winning Embrace Coffee Table is cleverly designed so that when the two elements are separate they form two low tables. But when ‘embraced’ together they form a coffee table with storage on the low shelf and an ingenious integral magazine rack at the side.
Whilst apart – see image below – the small tables also function well as a laptop table, a bench and desk for kids or even as serving tray for breakfast in bed. Now that’s what I call truly versatile.
The Embrace coffee table is is available in bent plywood, birch, oak or walnut and each unit is numbered, stamped and signed upon completion.
2. Another very clever, functional and extremely classy storage coffee table for small spaces is the Lomond Storage Coffee Table. I love the mix of warm-toned materials – richly-grained mango wood teamed with a softly gleaming brass frame.
The lift-up section creates a nifty mini dining table for suppers in front of the TV whilst there’s bags of storage room in the body of the coffee table and on the shelf below.
3. The Cairn Coffee Table is made from stackable, layered, modular storage trays, and comes in these gradient shades of grey (shown) or soft pink.
4. I’ve really fallen for the Grayson Coffee Table from John Lewis. The sliding solid ash tambour doors are a lovely detail, and splayed, tapered solid wood turned legs add a hint of mid-century detailing.
5. Crafted from solid oak wood and oak veneer, the strikingly simple Max low table from Habitat features a slatted door that conceals ample storage space for books and magazines and is ideal for hiding clutter. Because it’s set back on a plinth, it’s solid but appears to be floating, a good trick to use in small rooms to create an illusion of space.
6. We love the slender lines and compact size of the Finn Coffee Table. Its style credentials are huge though, with its metallic frame, rich walnut veneer and built-in leather sling for magazines. It oozes style and makes a great focal point for any size room.
7. How glamorous (and still practical) is the Terrace Coffee Table by West Elm? The slim metallic frame, glass top and shelf, plus mirrored bottom shelf create a light and airy feel. Two roomy shelves provide lots of space for storage and display. Plus the mirrored surface helps bounce light around, always a bonus if your room is a little small and/or dark.
8. A retro vibe now with the Watford Glass Top Coffee Table from La Redoute. The rich walnut veneer and dark, lacquered metal hairpin legs combine in a sophisticated mid-century look – we love!
9. The West Elm Industrial Storage Coffee Table, above, has a refined “rustic industrial” style, and is made from solid mango wood and a blackened steel frame. The sleek box frame incorporates a clear glass top and open shelf, ideal for storing books and magazines or creating a display. And two handy drawers provide space to stash clutter neatly out of sight – perfect!
10. And finally, to finish this round-up of coffee tables for small spces, is the Ercol Romana Coffee Table from Heal’s. Beautifully designed and crafted from solid oak, the top of this classic Ercol design cleverly slides back to reveal a hidden storage recess, pictured below. (How beautiful is that wood grain and those joints!?).
We hope you’ve found your ideal coffee table with storage in our Top 10, or at least been inspired by our pick. Whilst we may not have the largest of living spaces that doesn’t mean we have to be short on style. Just as long as we make sure every piece of furniture is working hard and earning its keep as well as looking great.
Happy (small space) furniture hunting.
Enjoyed our Top 10 Coffee Tables with Storage for Small Spaces? Check out our Small Space Living Solutions
Find more contemporary furniture for small spaces in our new Small Space Living section: