Today we’re looking at compact armchairs for small spaces. Our Top 10 sofas for small spaces has been wildly popular, so we decided to do this follow-up.
As before, it’s inspired by our own search for compact, modern furniture. This time it’s for a contemporary, small armchair that’s not too deep so it doesn’t protrude too far into our small, square-ish living room.
All of the compact easy chairs in this Top 10 have slim, strealined shapes that make them perfect armchairs for small spaces. No wide, chunky arms or boxy profiles here.
Long(ish) legs were another criteria, to give an illusion of space under and around the chair, a classic trick to use when buying any furniture for small spaces.
They’re also less than 90 cm deep, with several measuring 80 – 85cm deep and some being very petite indeed. Hopefully one may be the small armchair for you!
TOP 10 COMPACT ARMCHAIRS FOR SMALL SPACES
Contemporary upholstered armchairs for small spaces
To start, a selection of traditional upholstered armchairs with contemporary styling to update this classic look.
1. The Rubens armchair (H101 x W82 x D85 cm) above, designed by Steuart Padwick for MADE, has fabulously clean, flowing lines and fuss-free wool-rich or leather upholstery.
This beautifully petite, contemporary take on the classic wing back armchair comes in grey, green/yellow and a very gorgeous cognac leather too, as you can see above.
2. Another riff on the classic wingback, this time Scandi-style but designed and made here in the UK. The high-backed Bodil armchair provides great support, comes in a choice of fabric or leather and measures W82 x H114 x D85cm.
3. Teal velvet with brass accents? Don’t mind if I do – that’s all my style boxes ticked right there. The Carnaby Armchair by Duresta at John Lewis is the last word in everyday elegance and will fit into narrow spaces whilst still having a comfortably deep seat. Love it, want it. W65 x H85 x D87cm.
4. Its slim profile and compact proportions make the Momo Armchair (W68 x H100 x D74cm) ideal for small spaces. Designed in-house by Habitat, it’s part of their Momo range and is also available in other colours and fabrics.
Scandi-style wooden framed armchairs for small spaces
The next small armchairs take inspiration from Scandinavian-style wooden framed armchairs, and fit perfectly into the mid-century look that’s so popular right now.
5. The striking Marino armchair (H86 x W75 x D85 cm) is by iconic British furniture makers Ercol, exclusively for John Lewis.
The steam-bent solid ash frame has gracefully flowing lines, and there’s a choice of seven upholstery colours to choose from. A beautifully crafted small armchair that’s a real heirloom piece.
6. Second of our Scandi-inspired compact armchairs for small spaces is the Karla armchair (H78 x W72 x D90 cm) from Swoon Editions.
Weathered, matte oak frame and stonewashed canvas upholstery make it perfect for the “urban rustic” look.
Contemporary leather armchairs for small spaces
7. Friends of friends have the deliciously squashy and ultra-comfortable Halo Groucho Leather Armchair (H68 x W107 x D84cm), shown above, again from John Lewis.
Slim arms and long legs stop it looking heavy and chunky, so often the case with leather armchairs. Its big brother, the Groucho Sofa, is in our Top 10 Sofas for Small Spaces too because both are the interiors versions of the most comfortable, lived-in and much-loved leather jacket – ever.
8. Soft leather, tapered brass legs – be still my beating heart. How gorgeous is the Simone armchair in premium grey leather, above? So elegant, and utterly timeless.
I’m going to sneak in the velvet version of the Simone armchair below, even though it’s not leather, because I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with this one too. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. H82 x W78 x D89cm.
Compact accent chairs for small spaces
Although not exactly armchairs, the streamlined contours of compact accent chairs are nevertheless ideal for small living room when space is at a real premium.
Also called cocktail chairs, they’re particularly useful as occasional chairs i.e. somewhere to sit for a drink or a cuppa. Or as extra seating when you have guests. Equally, they’re brilliantly versatile in bedrooms, hallways and cosy reading nooks.
9. Graham & Green’s Trianon button back tub chairs (H73 x W 67 x D57 cm) take a traditional shape and bring it up to date with contemporary shades of raspberry pink or grey velvet teamed with pale, distressed wood legs. The Trianon chair is also available in natural linen.
10. Finally, two beauties from Swoon Editions inspired by1950’s cocktail chairs. Shown left is the Duke Cocktail Chair (H80 x W66 xD68 cm) and on the right the Fitz Cocktail Chair (H83 x W71 x D73 cm). Chic and elegant, both are available in a range of six jewel-coloured velvets.
I can’t believe that’s the 10 done already – it would have been so easy to have written about another 10 at least!. We hope you’ve found our round up of compact armchairs for small spaces useful, and even if your perfect small armchair isn’t here then at least the selection above has provided inspiration and food for thought. Happy (small) chair hunting.
(This post has been updated since publication to keep items current)
Find more armchairs in our Contemporary Armchairs Sourcebook
Find more armchairs in our Contemporary Armchairs Sourcebook
Enjoyed our Top 10 Compact Armchairs for Small Spaces? Check out our Small Space Living SolutionsFind more contemporary furniture for small spaces in our new Small Space Living section:
10 best contemporary leather sofas for small spaces
Decorative home storage baskets and boxes
The best storage solutions for small spaces
Top 10: mirrors with shelves
The Senzo marble and brass contemporary dressing table
Small space solutions: the LOFT range from M&S
You may also like to read:
I'm very excited to be writing about the new West Riding Collection fr...
There's a new interiors collection - the John Lewis Design Project - t...
Today we're looking at mirrors with shelves, because we have an extra ...