Small Space Living: contemporary furniture for small spaces
Having a small living space doesn’t mean having to go short on style.
We started our series of features on contemporary furniture for small spaces as a result of our personal searches for furniture for our own home.
These posts have been far and away our most popular and obviously struck a chord with you as you look for the same thing.
The great news is that there's been a quiet revolution going on.
More and more contemporary furniture is designed specifically with small rooms, compact homes and the realities of modern living in mind.
Clever, stylish, versatile furniture that works hard to multi-task, saves space and, above all, looks great.
Above: Dining table and chairs from the M&S Loft range
When buying furniture for small spaces make sure
to look out for these 5 essential design features.
They create simple visual tricks to make your small living space look larger and airier.
1. Choose furniture with simple, clean lines to create an uncluttered look
2. Opt for pieces with slim profiles and petite proportions: chunky doesn’t work visually, plus it takes up precious physical space
3. Look for designs that create an airy, open feel both around and through them
4. Include materials that create an illusion of space and reflect light – glass, mirrored surfaces and metallics all fit the bill perfectly
5. Search out pieces that are versatile and multifunctional and/or incorporate storage