The increasingly popular concept of the “outdoor room” is all about creating a comfortable, relaxed outside space. Somewhere where you can kick back and enjoy outdoor living to the full.
Blurring the lines between indoors and out, the best outdoor rooms are informal, inviting and full of character. They reflect your style and personality – just like the rest of your home.
Deciding to write about outdoor rooms for this second post of my mini-series in collaboration with MADE was super-easy. One look at their new garden collection, and it was obvious that the range was packed full of pieces to help you create a stylish, contemporary outdoor room. No matter what size your outside space happens to be. Whether you have a petite urban balcony, compact patio or more spacious garden, there’s something here for you.
Tips for creating a contemporary outdoor room
Before we get stuck into the details, though, here are six tips to help you create your own outdoor room this summer:
- Any outside space can become your outdoor room. So it doesn’t have to be big, rather it’s all about creating the look and feel that suits your style.
- Create the ‘walls’ and ‘roof’ of an outdoor room using inexpensive screening, trellises and sun sails. Climbing and trailing plants also make brilliant walls/ceilings of foliage and flowers. And paint walls and fences any colour you choose, just like indoors.
- Think about shade and privacy. Consider ways to create shade for the daytime in hot weather, and also how to screen off your outdoor space if you’re overlooked.
- Use outdoor lights (electric, solar, candles) to create an intimate, relaxed evening atmosphere once the sun goes down.
- A selection of plants will soften the space and add relaxing, natural textures. No garden? No problem. Plants in pots can be floor-standing or hanging and create stunning, statement features as well as soft, green boundaries to your outdoor room.
- Blur the lines between indoors and out. Imagine recreating your living room outside – so that’s not just furniture but also cushions, throws, plants and lighting.
Stylish garden furniture for your contemporary outdoor room
OK, that’s the basics of your outdoor room sorted – now for the really fun part. Here are my top picks from MADE’s current garden collection to take style and comfort outdoors this summer:
Sleek yet sturdy, elegant yet weatherproof, the Kalaw Concrete Coffee Table, above, and Side Table, below, are truly versatile. Their sculpted contours and minimal lines would look equally brilliant indoors.
Here are more tables that can effortlessly swap between indoors/outdoors. The Vitti collection consists of a Dining Table, Coffee Table and Console Table. Designed by art director and designer Rhonda Drakeford, I’m coveting all three!
Remember I mentioned my love of the outdoor lounge set in my first post in the series? They epitomise the comfort and style you’re aiming for in an outdoor room, and MADE have an absolutely brilliant selection.
To maximise space, the Copa Garden Corner Sofa could be the perfect solution. The versatile stool can be a comfy footstool, coffee table or additional seating for extra guests.
The Ayra Bean Chair comes in this bright and breezy terrazzo print on a waterproof fabric that’s perfect for your contemporary outdoor room.
Looking for space-saving ideas for your contemporary outdoor room? Try the glazed ceramic Sacha Outdoor Stool that can double as a side table.
The perfect outdoor room would, of course, have a drinks trolley to keep all your refreshment essentials close to hand. The Tice Garden Trolley fits the bill very nicely.
Part of the same wallet-friendly MADE Essentials range, the Tice Wall Hung Garden Table is genius. I love the way that MADE’s designers try to cater to every size of living space. Hooked over your balcony wall or railing it’s the perfect bistro table, and it can fold down out of the way when not in use.
I hope you have fun relaxing al fresco in your outdoor room over the next few weeks. And in case there’s anything here that particularly catches your eye, you might like to know that MADE has this special offer on for the Bank Holiday weekend, ending 8th May:
Posted in collaboration with MADE, all views my own
You may also like to read:
This new range of furniture by architectural and interior design consu...
What do you get when you cover 1950's cocktail chairs with Flock Studi...
This glass and metallic Figure Side Table caught my eye in LivingEtc m...