This week we’re looking at contemporary coffee tables with storage for small spaces.
So we’re continuing the series with the indispensable coffee table. But being beautiful and the right size just isn’t enough when we’re furnishing small spaces. These need to be coffee tables with storage.
The best furniture for small rooms is versatile and hardworking. So the perfect coffee table for a small space should not only be compac,t but also incorporate space-saving shelves or storage drawers.
Our current coffee table is 100 cm x 60 cm so I’ve kept the search roughly to these dimensions – here’s our Top 10 contemporary coffee tables with storage that are ideal for small spaces:
Top 10 coffee tables with storage for small spaces
1. The award-winning Embrace Coffee Table is cleverly designed so that when the two elements are separate they form two low tables, but when ‘embraced’ together they form a coffee table with storage on the low shelf and an ingenious integral magazine rack. Whilst apart – see image below – the small tables also function well as a laptop table, a bench and desk for kids or even as serving tray for breakfast in bed. Now that’s what I call truly versatile.
The Embrace coffee table is is available in bent plywood, birch, oak or walnut and each unit is numbered, stamped and signed upon completion.
2. Another very clever, functional and extremely classy storage coffee table for small spaces is the Lomond Storage Coffee Table. I love the mix of warm-toned materials – richly-grained mango wood teamed with a softly gleaming brass frame.
The lift-up section creates a nifty mini dining table for suppers in front of the TV whilst there’s bags of storage room in the body of the coffee table and on the shelf below.
3. The Fonteyn Oak and Walnut coffee table is part of the hugely popular Fonetyn range designed by Steuart Padwick for MADE. The bold 60’s-inspired curves and large central drawer provide lots of storage space, plus it’s sturdily constructed with a thick oak veneer and solid oak handles, runners and legs. (I have the Fonteyn desk, and it always gets lots of compliments!)
5. Crafted from solid oak wood and oak veneer, the strikingly simple Max low table from Habitat features a slatted door that conceals ample storage space for books and magazines and is ideal for hiding clutter. Because it’s set back on a plinth, it’s solid but appears to be floating, a good trick to use in small rooms to create an illusion of space.
6. The Industrial Coffee Table from Out There Interiors is made of recycled wood with metal fittings and wheels and will add a subtle industrial vibe without being overpowering. The deep lower shelf can hold stacks of magazine or books, or would also happily accommodate storage boxes or baskets.
7. The Airframe Coffee Table features a nice mix of finishes and materials with its clear toughened glass top, white painted shelf and angled natural wood legs. Clean, simple lines and lots of space in between the elements give it an open, airy feel.
8. A retro vibe now with the Watford Glass Top Coffee Table from La Redoute. The rich walnut veneer and dark, lacquered metal hairpin legs combine in a sophisticated mid-century look – we love!
9. The Plato coffee table, above, also has a glass top that turns its storage drawer into a display case (image below). Simple mango wood and a black metal frame create a refined industrial style. A fabulous place to store and display all kinds of treasured objects.
10. And finally, the Jakob oak coffee table is from the LOFT range by M&S, which is designed specifically for contemporary small space living. This small coffee table with a storage shelf is simple but very stylish with nice design touches like the joint details where the legs meet the table top.
So, whilst we may not have the largest of living spaces that doesn’t mean we have to be short on style, just as long as we make sure every piece of furniture is working hard and earning its keep.
We hope you’ve found your ideal coffee table with storage in our Top 10, or at least been inspired by our pick. Happy (small space) furniture hunting.